Monday, March 30, 2015

The small energy cup

My best estimate right now is that I gain about 5% in energy each day since I left the hospital, so I have 10% more energy than I did before.  I am hoping this is like compounded interest and keeps growing!  If it does, I can probably retire off of it in a few years!   :)

Having some trouble sleeping at night -- I think I need to adjust my new CPAP and do a few other things.  We'll see how it goes tonight.

However, I am enjoying the beautiful sunlight as it streams into our house through the front door in the morning, the snow on the mountains (although we need more of it), my wife's company, and we had tacos for dinner tonight!  Last time I had tacos was probably six weeks or more ago.  Beats hospital food, let me say.

That said, I have about the strength of a four-year-old, so please do not send your kids over to beat me up just so they can grow their confidence.  I couldn't open a jar today, but I am enjoying my walks.  Temperature is supposed to be VERY warm tomorrow, so we'll walk early and then maybe in the evening cool.  When it gets cold on Thursday, it may be more of a challenge, but I'll be up in SLC again.

We have an appointment on Thursday just to check in and see how things are going.  If it all looks good, then we will probably schedule a time to get the trifusion catheter out of my chest.  A shower with no worries!!  Huzzah!

The little things really do matter.  They are part of the fabric of our lives, the connections we have to each other and to the world around us.  I appreciate them more than ever.

OH!  The title of this post.  Dr. Asch told me (may have said this before) that each day it is like I have a little cup of energy.  It gets slightly bigger each day (thus my 5% estimate), but I have to decide how I will use it.  Will I get excited and burn it all and then spend the rest of the day in bed?  Or will I parse it out to use it as needed while resting in between?  That, as my friend William used to say, is the question.  And although your cup may be bigger than mine right now -- we all have our little cup and decide how we will use it.

I am going to continue the blog for the next several months probably because I'm a narcissist!

In a way, this is my journal of this journey, and I don't want it to be limited to just the worst possible days.  I want to remember, and my children and family to remember, the journey, not just an event of being hospitalized.

So, if you want to stick with me, please do.  I'll be back again, soon.  My love to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment